Tuesday, May 22, 2012

China Glaze Magnetix

The magnetix polishes are finally available in my location.  Yeah! I picked up two colors for around $10 each and ordered the magnet on Amazon.  Even the Sally Hansen Magnetic polishes have arrived at my local Target this past Sunday.  I expected the display to be empty when I went to Target on Monday, but only two bottles of the blue were missing.  It was advertised for $9.99 and it comes with a removable magnet.  Someone had given me my Nabi magnetic three months ago.  I'm not sure where they got it from, I've never seen this brand anywhere. 

L-R  Nabi Khaki, CG Drawn to You, CG Pull Me Close, SH Electric Emerald

This is the Nabi magnet.  It's hard to use because it doesn't have a finger rest.
The image doesn't wrap around the nail.  I'm thinking it's because it is hard to keep the magnet
steady.  I've bumped the magnet a few times at you can see.  Also, because the magnet was attached to the brush, it delayed the application of the magnet.  If I took too long to place the magnet on, the image wouldn't show at all.

My CG magnet arrived yesterday.  Now I have all designs available (including the wavy
design on the Sally Hansen magnet).

The finger rest on the magnets made it easy to use.  The strength was about the
same as the Sally Hansen magnet.  Having the three designs on one plate is convenient.
This is the Nabi and Sally Hansen magnet .  I think if Nabi had the same design, it would
work just as well as CG and Sally Hansen. 


Another plus for Sally Hansen was having the magnet be removable.  Very easy to use.


Bottom line: Sally Hansen and China Glaze magnets are equally as good in strength.  China Glaze has 3 designs and SH only has the one wavy design available.  I like the effect that the wavy design creates vs. the chevron.  The image is crisper and has a better 3D effect.  I keep all magnets on for 25 seconds allowing the polish to dry and then blowing on the nail immediately after.  If the magnet gets removed to quickly, the metal particles sink back down and blur the image.  I also finish with a quick dry top coat like SH Quick Dry top coat or Seche Vite Dry Fast top coat. 

Okay, now I have some China Glaze Magnetix swatches.  The CG formula is slightly thicker than Nabi or SH.  Application is smooth.  I found it opaque with just one coat like the bottle suggests.  I tried using 2 coats at first (force of habit), but the design wasn't as crisp as with the single coat.   I've never used a base coat, so I can't say how that affects the design.

First up is "Drawn to You", a purple with silver metal particles.  Keep in mind that bottle colors are different than that on the nail due to the combination of pigment and metal.  Once the color separates, the base color darkens. 


I used the Nabi magnet (it was the only one I had at the time).  I redid my pointer
3 times because it kept bumping the magnet. 

The polish chipped in about a day.  It was my fault.  I didn't wrap my nail first (paint from tip to cuticle and then paint from cuticle to tip).  I was trying to work fast to get the best magnet effect.

I want to try this color again using the SH and CG magnets.


Next up is "Pull Me Close".  This is my favorite magnetic polish.  Hands down from all four that I own.  This blue/light blue contrast brings attention to the design of the magnet.  I was surprised how the cadet blue darkened to a deeper shade creating a bold contrast.  The image looked like it was moving.  A result of the shifting reflection of the metal.  I used the wavy design from Sally Hansen.  My CG magnet was delivered as soon as I had just finished doing this manicure.

At first, I was placing my nail over the magnet and the polish itself started shifting and dripping
toward the magnet. It works best when the magnet is placed over the nail instead.

I can't wait to try the other magnet designs with this color. 

That's it for this post.  As I was writing this, I swatched  SH Electric Emerald on my right hand and Nabi Khaki on my left.  I can't wait to take pictures and post those up as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment